Wednesday, 26 February 2014
Then, using thick polyester wadding and a navy and white striped back, he quilted the small sandwhich with Auriful 12wt variegated thread in purple, orange and yellow. It's super thick and fun, a spool I'd had for a while, because I always quilt in safe white. All it takes is sewing with a 5 year old to pull you out of your comfort zone! And this ended up being the perfect choice for this project!
We added a sleeve to the top half at the back and a big tab that attaches with velcro down the bottom and then bound it all with some strips I already had in my stash of scrap strips. (Please excuse the slightly disturbing camera smile Tully insists on these days!) I attached the binding to the back and stitched it on the front. I love the finished look it gives it!.
I haven't decided yet about some kind of seat belt. Maybe I'll just unpick if from the old one and attach it to the new?
Monday, 24 February 2014
Another quilt on the pre-baby list done! Another one not for us or for baby, but for my oldest friend who turned 30 this month. Slowly but surely I am getting through the list for others (ok, maybe not so slowly, I'm just impatient!) and then I'll spend the last couple of weeks making what I can for the baby. It makes me glad I've been handstitching the hexie quilt for my little one because I'm enjoying working on it each evening.
In my last post, I wrote about taking short cuts to help me get these quilts finished. I bought this Hello Petal Layer cake for my friend's quilt so I could sew it up quickly with minimal cutting and no time choosing colours (even though that's usually my favourite part!) While I was deciding what kind of design to make, I was really drawn to Rachel's Penny Patch quilt and Blue Elephant Stitches' Granny Square Quilt. I love the 2.5" squares in both and I considered for a while adjusting the pattern for either to work with a layer cake. In the end, I just couldn't bare chopping those little girls' heads off and came up with this design to make the most of the mix of basic prints and illustrations.
- Prints I wanted to keep completely intact.
- Prints that could work cut into 4.5" squares, and co-ordinating basics to match each one.
- Prints that would work cut into 2.5" squares and basics to match each one.
First I worked on the pile that would be little postage stamp (2.5" squares) blocks. I cut the first 10" block into 4 x 2.5" strips. Then repeated with the co-ordinating print. This makes two identical blocks.
Cut these into 2.5" strips across the grain.
Sew them back together like the picture above. Continue this method with the rest of that pile of 10" squares.
Then, onto the pile of prints for 4.5" squares. Cut 2 x 4.5" strips from the 10" block. Then cut 4.5" squares from those strips. Repeat with the co-ordinating print and sew 2 identical blocks together like the picture below.
Once you've sewn/trimmed all your blocks (they should all be 8.5" square), work out your desired layout. I like that this layer cake came with 42 squares, making an easy 6x7 block layout. Sew together in rows, then sew the rows together.
Thursday, 20 February 2014
In the last couple of weeks we've had some sad tragedies (and much hope) with babies in my family, which have pushed me ever more to the sewing machine, but also made me more impatient for the arrival of ours. I've added more to my list, yearning to make for them as the only way I know how to express my prayers and hopes and sadness. But I'm also having to go easy where I can (photos on our washing line instead of at the beach, binding the quilt on our bed before I finished quilting - I'll finish it one day) so that the time before baby is spent meaningfully with the kids, keeping back the chaos rather than inviting more in.
I cut 6.5" strips of each colour, and the cut those into these 45 degree triangles. (Do they have a name??) Once the top was sewn up randomly, I used my new go-to backing, this 150cm wide numbers print from Ikea. I bought LOTS when I was down there last, and it's making that last part of the quilt finishing go just that bit faster.
So I ordered some Anna Maria Horner linen and velveteen this week to make single cloth cushion (pillow) covers rather than patchwork ones for our new sofas. We bought new sofas rather than made them. I think I'll skip a border on my Modern Medallion quilt for my cousin, and maybe simplify the hand quilting. The hexie quilt for the baby will probably be more cradle size than cot size (and maybe finished after the birth!). And I used a layer cake for a super quick quilt top for my friend who turns 30 this weekend. Cutting corners doesn't always come naturally to me. Things should be made to their full potential or original design! But they will still be beautiful, and more (or just as) importantly, finished. And if it means I have a little time for detours such as this quilt, that makes it worth it.