Monday 27 May 2013

Stained Glass Little Folks.



So we live in a tiny 1940s workers cottage in an old coal port city. (The city is old - by Australian, not world, standards, the coal port is still active). And our house is a collection of small, enclosed boxes. Two bedrooms, a lounge room, dining room, all around 4x4 metres (yds) and a tiny sunroom, about 1.5 x 2.5m.

Our bedroom was the smallest in the house, in the darkest corner, right next to our neighbour's backyard, and their interesting choice of cigarettes. ;) And in the drama of the first few months of this year, and a moment of inspiration, I decided I wanted this season to be marked by rest, light and colour (and fresh air). And I couldn't get that in my old bedroom.

So we embarked on a (yet another, because a collection of boxes allows for change when the feeling hits) big rearrange. And we moved our bedroom into the light-filled loungeroom, our lounge into the old dining room and our dining room onto the back deck. My new sewing room now comes off our bedroom, and we put Tim's office and a guest bed in our old bedroom.



So that's our new lounge, or family, room through the glass doors from our bedroom. After wondering for a month or so, whether to make curtains or not, Tim and I had a flash of inspiration. Voile is practically 'two-sided', and glueing the fabric on would be a flat (space-saving), easy, removable solution to create privacy for our new room! So I measured the glass panels, cut this Little Folks Voile, by Anna Maria Horner, to size and started painting the windows with glue and fabric.



I chose only a few prints, in a limited colour palette, built mostly around the Diamond Mine prints. You can see the glass doors not only limited privacy, but made both rooms feel busier. The view through the doors was reflective and muddy. And if there was mess in the other room (which is often in our house!) it made both spaces feel untidy.


I used PVA (craft) glue and just lightly patted the voile over the glass. If I pushed too much, it would bunch, and was hard to rescue. The finished result has made both rooms feel smaller, yet brighter and calmer. I think I just sat and admired it for about three days!


On the other side, the kids have their little table, where they eat meals or do craft if it's too cold outside. I love that the 'back' of the fabric is still so clear, and the glass protects it from hands and food and wandering crayons. And the light from the front of the house still comes through and plays through the colour in different lines and shapes all day.



And at night, when Tim stays up longer than me (or vice versa) we get our own beautiful stained glass windows, instead of the harsh, direct light from the ceiling.
Last weekend, Tim's folks came and stayed and we all deemed the new layout a great success. We're using our huge backyard more as a big open-plan play room, we loved having a guest room instead of them sleeping on the lounge room floor, and on Sunday morning, when my introverted self needed a break from the 'crowds', I was able to hide away in my girl cave and sew for an hour and regain my sense of self. And I love to be in my large, light bedroom.
Even though this layout is untraditional, I think it's the most suited to our goals and personalities. And it's drawn our attention to what we do have rather than what our house lacks. A bit like what I was talking about here for my Fabric Fast.

I think next up is some brighter fabric art?

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful solution to your new arrangement. How perfect that the print with the frames fit so perfectly inside the pane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well aren't you the clever one! Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered what the solution to that one would be and that is more creative and special than anything I would have come up with. It is just beautiful and when your done you can wash the fabric and re use it if I am right about your choice of glue. Enjoy your beautiful new decor - I love it and I am glad you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh I can't tell you how much I love this - it's such a beautiful and brave thing to do and gives such a stunning result. I am ridiculously envious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did, It looks so warm and nice!!! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a pretty and inventive idea, I love it and now want glass doors in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out so pretty! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic idea! So clever! I might just glue fabric to anything that sits still too long haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that is so beautiful! I love it when the light shines through - genius idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very pleased to uncover this web site. I wanted to thank you for your time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it and i also have you saved to fav to see new stuff on your web site.

    My blog post ... related site

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful! What a genius and yet simple idea. Makes me want to tackle my curtains asap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable.... Love it so much! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! I was wondering if glueing fabric onto glass would be feasible, and you've answered my question! I'll be doing this in my boys' bathroom. I wanted them to have the privacy of café curtains, without having any problems to open the windows for ventilation (the windows open in, like French doors, so café curtain rods are not doable). Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I so love your comments! I read all of them and reply when I can. If you don't hear back, I'm lost under a mound of scraps or outside jumping on the trampoline with the kids. Jodi. xx